House dust mites are a serious hazard to people suffering from allergy. It is often stated that house dust mites "live in our houses, in particular in our beds" and that "they eat skin scales". Such statements are repeated all over, and seem to be the base for current ideas about how to avoid or control the mites and their allergens.
But during my work since 1975, examining thousands of samples for mites I never found living, reproducing indoor populations of house dust mites. It is true, that they can be found in indoor collected dust samples, but they do not live there. Nor do they feed, reproduce or produce allergens there either. They are just a contamination from outdoor sources.
Read more about this new understanding in "The common sense hypothesis"
Thorkil E Hallas, Zoologist